Monday, May 7, 2007

This one time I cut school...

But not really. Our second creative writing assignment was to write a detailed (fictional) account of a day we cut school. See, this one was easier because I cut school a significant amount of times in 8th grade, and enough in HS to give myself a break every other week or so :) So this is a very false story, however, it could have happened, but it didn't. Maybe I'll write about a day I really did cut school, sometime :) Oh and this was also based on a passage from Housekeeping.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Unexcused Absences
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


The thought the skip school never occurred to me until that day in February. Granted, I had played hooky plenty of times by feigning some sort of illness and claiming to be too sick to go. It always worked with my mom, however I didn’t do it often. She would never give me a day if I just asked for it, either. I had asked to take a day off to spend with friends. Not a whole week, just one day! She said no, of course, so I took it upon myself to take the day off. I was in high school so at this point I had friends who could drive too! A small group of us, roughly five people, I’d say, gathered in the lower senior parking lot on a Wednesday. Wednesday being in the middle of the week, no one would say we had just cut and taken a three day weekend. Being so early in the morning, just 7:30, we decided to go to Dunkin Donuts, in another town of course, first. After spending about an hour eating jelly donuts and drinking very sweet and light coffee, we headed to the mall, also in another town. All of us were brave enough to take the day off, but we didn’t want to be seen by our parents or a friend of theirs in our small town. After perusing the mall, making small purchases of colorful shoelaces at Hot Topic, and butterfly earrings at Claire’s we went to the newly built movie theatre. All of us finally being seventeen, we decided to see a rated R movie – Underworld: Evolution. It was great. Who would have thought they actually put sex right on the screen in a rated R movie! I knew my mother would die if she knew what was in the movie, although she’d probably still let me see it. By the time the movie was over, it was 2:30. I called my mom telling her I had to stay for a newspaper club meeting and I would get a ride home with my friend. She was fine with this, as she wouldn’t have to pick me up at the end of our road from the late bus. After a very eventful drive home – we took a scenic route and ended up getting lost, causing me to have to call my mom again and tell her we were stopping to pick my friends brother up, and drop him off at their house. Instead we stopped in a clearing off the road we were lost on, and sat on the grass for a while, cloud watching. We saw all kinds of shapes in those clouds, including, but not limited to, a duck, a cow, the first three letters of the alphabet, an ice cream cone, and the Mona Lisa. It was a fun afternoon. By the time I got home I was a bubbly bundle of smiles. My mom asked how school went and I said great and fine. She never questioned the trinkets I suddenly had, and she never asked why there were three other people in the car. I was happy for the rest of the night, feeling very free and alive. I didn’t deliberately cut another day of school for the rest of the year. I didn’t need to. I had one great day and another might be a disappointment and that day was one thing I didn’t want to spoil.

No comments: